About Me

My photo
Creating my ideal figure, one workout and one meal at a time.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Burger and fries

They say necessity is the mother of all invention.  Well, I've been desperately seeking creative ways to cook my food lately, especially as the diet goes on and I find myself to have been eating the same lunch for 4 weeks straight!  I came up with this dudesky one day while I was craving a burger and fries.


Instead of a bun, I used big lettuce leaves (there is a certain lettuce that's perfect for this, but I just used Boston lettuce).  Instead of a burger pattie, I used my cooked chicken.  Topped with pickles (not sure if those were allowed or not, but they're only 5 calories each, and I only used one), tomato, cucumber, onion, and mustard.  I would have LOVED some roasted hot peppers and chipotle mayo but.... these are the sacrifices we make.

I have alot of trouble with Sweet Potato Fries, but these ones turned out alright.  Though it was quite a lengthy process.  After peeling and cutting them, I misted a parchment-lined baking sheet with Pam and spread them out in a single layer.  Sprinkled with seasoning salt.  Baked for 15 minutes at 250, flipping once.  Increased heat to 400 and baked another 5-7 mins.  It's a fine line between crispy and burnt, so I had to watch them carefully near the end.  

I definitely gave myself a nice pat on the back after this one ;)

4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious hun. I've honestly never had a burger with lettuce instead of a bun, because you know me and carbs, but I have to say, I'm now tempted to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love sweet potatoe fries!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. for your sweet potato fries, try blanching them in boiling water first before roasting them in the oven :) works a treat with regular potatoes so reckon it would fly with sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Steph!! I've heard that softening them up first is best, so obviously attempted that by baking them on low heat. This seems like a good alternative. I'll definitely be trying this :)

    ReplyDelete