About Me

My photo
Creating my ideal figure, one workout and one meal at a time.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Burn, baby, burn!

It seems to me there are two kinds of exhaustion: The kind where you're attempting to lift a heavy weight and your muscle just doesn't seem to want to do it, and the kind where you've done so many reps your muscles start to burn.  Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the former; I get discouraged because my mind wants to push through but my body doesn't feel strong enough to do it.  I relish, however, in the latter of the two.   There's nothing more satisfying than finishing a set and feeling like your body's on fire.  I understand that both of these evils are necessary in a progressive program (can't get stronger if you don't lift heavier!), but I just enjoy those burning workouts so much more and feel so accomplished when I've finished them.

Which is why I've been loving my workouts this past week!  Jason has me doing a high-rep approach, and lemme tell you, my body hasn't been this sore in ages!!  Generally one would start with a compound movement then finish with isolation exercises in order to save the strength of the smaller muscle.  This program has me doing the opposite.

Using Chest as an example, a typical workout looks like this:
4 sets x 30 reps (Pec Dec)
4 sets x 20 reps (Decline dumbbell flyes)
4 sets x 10 reps (Incline dumbbell flyes)
4 sets x 5 reps (Bench Press)

I'd never done 30 reps of anything (except for abs) before, and I'll tell ya, 30 reps of any exercise will make even 5 lbs feels like lead!!

So now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my pictures will reflect how my body feels this week - tight, hot, and AMAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment