About Me

My photo
Creating my ideal figure, one workout and one meal at a time.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Thankful For the Support

I've been reading some other competitors' blogs recently, and it seems that a great majority - especially of first-time competitors - face some very harsh criticisms, doubts, and general bad attitudes towards what they are doing.  People tell them it's vain to do this, or they'll never succeed because of so-and-so (breasts too small, weigh too much, too short, etc.), or that it's a waste of time.

Now admittedly, many of my friends and family were surprised when I first told them I was interested in entering fitness competitions.  Some were concerned that I had ambitions of getting big and ripped like professional female bodybuilders.  Some had concerns about the diet being so restrictive.  And some were worried that I was taking on too much.

But all asked questions, and kept an open mind.  And after answering their questions and addressing their concerns, I'm happy to say that every single person in my life has supported me through this journey.

Nobody has ever told me I can't do it..... nobody would ever dare ;)

Maybe it's because I've always surrounded myself with people with "Can Do" attitudes; complainers, blamers, nay-sayers, doubters, lazy-butts, and pessimists have no space in my life.  I'd rather be around those who are ever changing, always looking for the next challenge, aspiring, goal-setting, overcoming, and broadening their interests.  Not everybody wants to be a rockstar, but they all have a drive to always improve something in their lives - to never be stagnant.

Maybe it's because they know there's no changing my mind.  If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  They see how much I want this and how much I love it, and while they maybe don't understand or share in my figure pro ambitions, they do respect my personal space enough not to rain on my parade.

Either way, I am thankful.  I'm thankful that my family understands that while we're on vacation, I need to make time to work out.  I'm thankful that my friends do whatever they can to accommodate my diet when we visit.  I'm thankful that my boyfriend doesn't laugh when I practice my poses in our bathroom mirror.  And I'm thankful for all of the positive messages, comments, emails, and words of encouragement that I've received through this blog.  Even without all that, I would and could do this all on my own.  But my goodness, how much easier and more pleasant this process is when you have a great support!

To all you competitors out there who either don't have the luxury of a support system, or who face those ugly criticisms from people who cannot and will not ever understand our life, our dreams, and our passion..... screw the nay-sayers!  Know that there's a whole world of people out there who DO understand and who DO support you, and we think you're doing GREAT!!


"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." 
-Ralph Waldo Emerson  

"A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." 
-Walter Bagehot


1 comment:

  1. I have to say I was met with A LOT of criticism...and it sometimes was a lot to take. But I had my family 110 percent behind me, and friends at the gym who encouraged me to keep trekking along : ) I honestly was inspired by you (I kid you not) to challenge myself. I lost people who I thought were going to be there for me during the process, but what made it so sweet was that I did it on my own for the most part. and the online community is amazing :)

    So thank you for being the inspirational woman that you are. Sometimes you never know when you can spark someone to go beyond their so called limits.

    ReplyDelete