About Me

My photo
Creating my ideal figure, one workout and one meal at a time.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Daily Creation: Fruit cobbler oatmeal

After staying up all night last night to watch the new Harry Potter movie, I decided to put my sleeplessness to good use and make John some breakfast.  I had some extra steel cut oats kicking around and wanted to use them up.  I cooked them as usual (I like to make 'em thick, so cooked for about 40 minutes, adding water every now and then) then added the following:
-Peaches, coarsely chopped
-Blackberries, whole
-Nutmeg and Cinnamon
-Honey, just a drizzle
-Raisins
-and my secret ingredients: Triple Berry jam, Apple jelly, and Coconut butter (a couple teaspoons of each)

I've found that the jam adds flavour and sweetness without the bulk of actual fruit or the extra water of juice, and the coconut butter (sheer genius) made it incredibly creamy.  Plus, John loves coconut, so I try to incorporate it whenever I can :)  The cinnamon and nutmeg gave it that "cobbler" flavour.  You could also add nuts if you so wanted, and I think dried dates would have been amaaaaazing.  I served it up with some boiled eggs to round out a complete meal.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to eat a bowl of this along with him.... I taste-tested it along the way, and got the fervent nod of approval from John afterwards.  I also forgot to take pics, so I guess I'll just have to make it again in 16 weeks so I can both eat it, and post it!

No comments:

Post a Comment